Wednesday, January 13, 2010

HAITI EARTHQUAKE UPDATE - SAFE

Jessica and I are safe, but trying to figure out the status of our return.

Dear Family and Friends,

Here's the short news: we are fairly far from Port-au-Prince and are still safe and sound in Haiti. Phone connections are still bad and email is a better bet for now.

We are trying to assess the roads back to PAP and whether the airport is operational... so we hope to have another update later today. But for now, we are also worried about our colleagues, many who have family in PAP and one who was traveling there during the earthquake.

Please keep us and everyone here in Haiti in your thoughts and prayers. For now, I will leave you with an email from last night I sent to many but realized I should've sent to many more:


"Dear Family and Friends,

"I have received many emails from most of you... or have communicated with each of you since I have landed in Haiti 9 days ago. I have tried to contact your sooner, but internet access is extremely spotty as I hope you will understand.

"If you have not heard yet, a series of earthquakes hit Haiti in the last few hours... the largest of them was 7.3 on the richter scale and cause much devastation in Port-au-Prince (where I think most of the earthquakes and aftershocks were centered).

"Please know that I am safe, as is Jessica (my traveling partner), and my Haitian co-workers I have since talked to. We are located in Les Cayes, which is far away enough that I have not heard of any immediate damage in our vicinity.

"If you are trying to call our cell phone, the towers are out... but when it resumes, our number is +509 3 816 0736.

"In the meantime, we do not know the full extent of the damage in Port-au-Prince or if this changes our plans in any way. We had not planned to return that way until Saturday... but if anything DOES change, I promise to email you all.

"Thanks for the concern and keep the good vibes coming our way.

"Love, Ryan"
.

4 comments:

Rosie Tomato said...

I am so glad you are safe - please keep us posted and we will keep Haiti in our prayers!

mgb said...

wow. take care and be safe...

mgb said...

I just realized you wouldn't know my last comment was from me... glenda

Riya Bhattacharjee said...

Hi Ryan, I am a reporter with the Berkeley Daily Planet in Berkeley, California, and I was wondering If I could interview you for a story I am doing for the paper. I am at riya@berkeleydailyplanet.com. You are also welcome to send a first person account of what's going on there at your earliest convenience. If you could email me some info, I'd be really grateful.

Many thanks,
Best,
riya