Wednesday, January 20, 2010

6.1 Aftershock - And Smaller Orgs to Help

So I feel a bit sick to my stomach. This morning I was able to connect again with a friend who made it from where we were in Les Cayes to the Central Plateau. While this place is bedrock and should be safe, Erinece told me many injured from Port-au-Prince are coming in and out of necessity, they're being treated in fields instead of the hospital itself.

While it's not clear if that is because of precautions for aftershocks or because there are so many... Suzy from IDEJEN told me about a 6.1 aftershock that rocked 35 miles northwest of PAP at 6:03 this morning.

There is so much to do and so all over the country. While the large organizations are streaming in the support into PAP, there are still little guys on the ground that are trying to fill in the gaps. Personally, I'm focused on trying to help them.

Here are 3 that I (or close Haitian friends of mine) recommend:
Hope For Haiti
Partners in Health
Hands Together

But don't just take my personal recommendations... InterAction is a coalition of U.S. NGOs that developed guidelines on how to help.


More in the coming days.

No comments: